Wednesday, July 7, 2010

This post has nothing to do with my sweet child but I'm writing about it anyway. 


When it comes to the grocery store, I'm a HUGE dork.  When I was on maternity leave the highlight of my Thursday was going to the Publix website and looking at the weekly ad.  Now, I have learned about I Heart Publix and can find out what is in the weekly ad on Tuesday night, yay!! Sometimes when I'm at Publix on a Wednesday night and they're setting up for what will be on sale beginning the next day I feel like I'm getting a sneek peak and I get all giddy.  I repeat, I am a HUGE dork.

Anyway, last month or so I set a goal to save at least 50% of what I spend through buy 1, get 1 deals, coupons, etc. and I'm proud to say I've met that goal all but once (and that time I only came up a few dollars short). Occasionally, like today, I save more than I spend and I get really excited and feel the need to do something crazy. Like blog about it.  

I often have to contain my excitment when I watch the total drop with each coupon that is scanned. And, I'm such a dork that sometimes I actually take pictures of my receipts.

From today - spent $22.89 and saved $28.58

From Drop Box

And this, my best Publix trip ever - spent $12.56 and saved $23.62 - consisted mostly of peanut buter.  This was probably 6 weeks ago and we still have 6 or so jars of unopened peanut butter.  However, the amount of PB we go through in our house borders on disgusting so before long we'll be desperate for another sale. 

From Drop Box


James very quickly learned that he isn't allowed to start putting the groceries away until I've given him the original price and then the price that I paid on pretty much every single item.  How the heck I remember all of the prices is beyond me. I subject him to this all the time even though I'm sure the only things he cares about is that we have food in the house and money in the bank account.  Did I mention I'm a HUGE dork?

I'm also on the verge of being a hoarder - we've got 5 tubes of toothpaste, about 12 bottles of salad dressing and I think James has enough deoderant and body wash to last him through the end of the year. I just can't resist those high value coupons and sales.  I think I'm a few shopping trips away from needing a 12-step.


Also, HUGE thank you to both my mother-in-law and my mom for giving me the coupons from their Sunday papers that they aren't going to use, without them I wouldn't be on the verge of crazy.

1 comment:

Suzy Shoup said...

I had no idea, Brooke, but I too am a dork - I like to play a guessing game when Joey goes to the store with me of how much our total will be. I'm super-impressed though - I save a ton on coupons, etc, but am curious if you're using anything other than the site you mentioned? I've heard of something called "the grocery game which employs similar hoarding-like concepts, but I haven't had the time to dedicate to the free trial before having to pay a small monthly fee for it. Your thoughts? (I'm sad - we don't have Publix here so I'm a Kroger/Wal-mart grocery shopper...but Publix did make our super tasty and beautiful yet very affordable wedding cake!)

What do you do about diapers, etc? I was only buying Pampers for the longest time...but usually only when BRU had a Buy 2, get a $10 gift card or something then I could also use a "Buy a box of diapers and a box of wipes and get $7 off coupon...which they allowed in addition to a $1-2 off the diapers and $1 or so off the wipes), but I've also found that store brand diapers are just fine too and watch for them to be on sale at Wal-mart lately.