Savannah will be a year old next month which is unreal. Brooke has done a great job of keeping all our friends and family up to date with Savannah’s first year but I thought it was about time I posted something on here. How else am I going to stay in the running for Dad of the Year? Besides, Father’s Day is fast approaching and I probably need some brownie points.
Savannah’s first year has been crazy. I’m not going to lie; the first few months were tough for me. You may want to sit down for this (queue the sarcasm) but I’m not a patient person. Luckily for me (and Savannah!) she was blessed with a Mom that has a patience level of somewhere around 12 on a 1 to 10 scale. I don’t tell Brooke often enough how great she is with her but to be able to see it every day is amazing. Some of our friends said that when they saw Brooke with Savannah in the hospital she looked like she was made to be a Mom and she has proven them right a thousand times over. I don’t know how she does it but I’m pretty sure she’s incapable of losing her patience with Savannah. If Brooke had a dollar for every time she “took over” for me when Savannah was being fussy, well let’s just say Brooke wouldn’t have to work anymore which would suit her fine! So to Brooke I would like to say an infinite amount of times “thank you.” Thanks for being an understanding wife (my stubbornness probably doesn’t make me the easiest guy to put up with at times) and thanks even more for being the Mom that you are. I couldn’t do you justice with mere words.
Over the last eleven months I’ve seen Savannah grow from a little 7 pound baby into a 20ish pound little girl. There are still times when Brooke has to take over, but it’s becoming more rare. Savannah has really become a little person- she cries when she doesn’t get what she wants (I don’t know who she learned that from) and she gets mad when she runs out of food at dinner (I DO know who she learned that from). Luckily she hasn’t learned how to pout because when that day comes, I’m in trouble! She loves for me throw her in the air and catch her and she still enjoys a good ol’ fashion game of peek-a-boo. She likes to go across the street and feed the fish with me and she likes to help me water the flowers. Truth be told, I don’t know if she likes it or not but, she doesn’t get mad so I can only assume she’s cool with it. She enjoys being pushed in her swing on the back porch (thanks for helping me hang that up, Dad) and she obviously loves making a mess of things (see Tupperware photo shoot below). She’s also the sweetest person I’ve ever known. When she’s tired and buries her head into my neck I feel like the luckiest person alive. Rocking her to sleep at night is the best! You might say it rocks…okay that was bad. The way she clutches on to Brooke and I makes it easy to see that she feels safest with us which I hope never changes. Maybe best of all is her laughter which has such a pure sound to it that it would make anyone smile with her.
I’m really looking forward to the next few years and watching her grow. I can’t wait for her to start walking and talking. Of course I might be singing a different tune after I’ve spent some time chasing her around while she’s yelling “NO” but we’ll have to wait and see. I’m pretty sure she’s going to enjoy golf. She’s already watched me swing the club enough that she should be doing it on her own here shortly. I always told Brooke that when Savannah was out of the infancy stage I would be Super-Dad. Here’s to hoping that I’m half the parent for year two that Brooke was for year one. Cheers!
1 comment:
What a sweet post! Good job to both of you!
Post a Comment