Medically, she checked out perfectly and got the last round of her first set of vaccinations as well as the flu shot. She screamed with the shots but the tears only lasted a few minutes, thankfully she isn't due for more shots until her 9 month appt. in March.
Now that she's 6 months old she is able to start on solid foods. So far she has had rice cereal, oatmeal and bananas. She tolerates the cereal, seems to like oatmeal and LOVES bananas! Aside from the solids she's still exclusively breast fed, yay mom! We know she's allergic to cow's milk, as was I at her age, so as long as things continue to go well we'll keep at it. I've never put a timeframe on how long I'll nurse her since I don't want to beat myself up over it if I don't make it to a pre-determined date. There are days that I dread pumping but overall I rather enjoy my twice daily 20 minute breaks from work, I've come to think of it as "me" time.
We, well, really more I, have decided to try making her food. It isn't an organic thing, it's more of a cost savings thing and dare I say, more "green." Those little jars might seem inexpensive but they quickly add up, after I pureed and froze them, the 39 cents/lb bananas I purchased yielded at least 8 meals and left only peels to throw out. It will be a bit time consuming since we'll have to steam or bake everything except bananas and avocadoes but I think I'm willing to part with 20-30 minutes of my time a week, after Savannah is in bed of course. :)
She still isn't sleeping through the night but I'm holding out hope and praying that she'll surprise us sometime soon, perhaps even a New Years Eve miracle? She goes down fine, but we run into problems in the middle of the night when she wakes up screaming and is inconsolable for 30-45 minutes, she isn't hungry, doesn't need a diaper change, isn't running a fever. As hard as it was, I let her cry it out (CIO) the other night - she cried for 45 minutes. I didn't intend to let it go that long but I just kept giving her another 5 minutes. She eventually wore herself out but only slept for half an hour before she was at it again. I couldn't stand the thought of tears streaming down her face for that long the second time around so I went in and scooped her up, un-doing whatever strides we made the first time around I'm sure. Oh well, six months of this has taught me to get by on less sleep.
6 month birthday...
| From SGN - 7th month |
![]() |
| From SGN - 7th month |
First time eating rice cereal...
| From SGN - 6th Month |
| From SGN - 6th Month |
curious pups
| From SGN - 6th Month |
I'm almost too embarassed to post these next sets of pictures, we had just returned from being out of town for Christmas and it's quite obvious that the house was in total disarray.
First time eating oatmeal...
| From SGN - 7th month |
| From SGN - 7th month |
First time eating bananas...
I took it to be a good sign when I held the banana close to her and she lunged for it.
| From SGN - 7th month |
| From SGN - 7th month |
This is a food mill that we got James' dad for Christmas, when he heard we were going to make our own baby food he insisted that we take it home with us since it says on the box that it's ideal for baby food. Clearly Savannah is interested.
| From SGN - 7th month |
| From SGN - 7th month |
Yummy!
| From SGN - 7th month |
| From SGN - 7th month |
She loves to grab the spoon
| From SGN - 7th month |

8 comments:
She is so cute! I hope she sleeps through the night for you soon! Maybe the solids will help?
Hey Brooke and James, Savannah is so precious. I really enjoyed reading about you and your new family. I know yal are so proud of her. She sure looks like her daddy.
I am so anxious to meet our little guy and see who he favors.
It sure looked like yal had a nice first christmas with her.
I think this is this neatest way to watch the little ones grow.
Dorothy
Thanks, Carrie! Things seem to be getting a little better sleep wise since I'm letting her
CIO a bit more, but the solids are not really helping - I guess that they sleep better on a full tummy is just a myth.
Hi, Dorothy - I didn't know you read the blog! She definitely looks like her daddy, he even calls her 'mini-me.' We had a great first Christmas, we were all very spoiled. Hope to see you in a couple weeks at the shower!
Brooke - Keep it up with everything and definitely keep me posted on your progress with the food and nursing (feel free to e-mail me too with questions - that's what I do with my friend Dawn. She's been awesome and I'm open to sharing all her shared wisdom in an effort to pay it forward). So far we've done green beans, peas (from frozen), sweet potatoes, carrots, squash (butternut, yellow, and zucchini), apples, pears, bananas, beets (from the can). I broke down and bought a few jars of peaches and mangos since I can't find those in season right now and keep holding out hope that a few other things come into season soon too! You can do it! Remember mom's truly are superheroes that wear a different kind of cape!
Wow she is getting so big! I miss you guys.
Thanks, Suzy! We've moved onto green beans and we're trying sweet potatoes tomorrow. I love watching her try new things, it's so fun to see her reaction to new tastes and textures.
Hey, Liz! I miss you guys too, I think it's already time for a trip to Florida.
Post a Comment